CAN I TALK ABOUT ILLEGAL DRUG USE DURING THERAPY?

 


Therapy is your safe space. If you are an adult patient, opening up about drug or alcohol use or abuse is incredibly important from the beginning of therapy. With my clients who are using substances, my job is to listen without judgement. It is not my job to force or try to force a client to stop using drugs or alcohol. Rather my role as the therapist is to talk with my clients about how the drugs or alcohol are affecting their lives, and to always leave a door open if and when my client plans to quit.

It may sound unusual, but you can see your therapist and continue using substances of any kind. Again this goes back to the role of the therapist. My role is never to force, to push, or to judge. Rather my job is to support, motivate, and encourage healthy coping. 

The only way that drug use or abuse could be discussed outside of the session would be if my client needed emergency medical attention or if there is child or elder abuse. This is the same confidentiality as with any therapist and with all sessions.


Comments

Popular Posts