APOLOGIZING FOR YOUR APPEARANCE: SOCIAL MEDIA PHOTOS

 


Each time that I log into my social media accounts, I see friends posting images of themselves (mostly selfies) or candid photos. The common thread connecting these photos is that most are posted with an apology. Phrases like "please ignore my wrinkles" or "sorry my hair is terrible today" and "I know I should lose weight" and most commonly "I'm sorry for not wearing make-up."

Why does a photograph or a selfie require an apology? This is a very simple example of individuals lacking the ability to feel confident in their own skin. Further lacking the ability to recognize how cultural norms and beauty standards dictate what we feel comfortable to post.  Learning to recognize how societal pressures affect our thoughts about our own bodies is complex, and cannot be understood completely in one blog post.

However, it may be of value to try and post your photos without an apology.  You can slowly start to emerge from behind these words to an unapologetic post with your face or body in any condition (make up or not). It may be difficult to head away from filters and make-up apps. But, in the long run, slowly accepting those minor imperfections without apologies can allow some body acceptance and ultimately self-acceptance or self-love. 

Comments

Popular Posts